Re: [Videolib] Closed Captioning Problems

Ben Achtenberg (Ben@fanlight.com)
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:44:18 -0400

I wonder whether the tape you are duplicating FROM may have some form of
copy protection (e.g., MacroVision) on it. This could result in the
symptoms you describe. Solution would be to get a non-protected master from
your vendor.

Good luck...
Ben

At 10:33 AM 7/18/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anyone have any ideas on how videos could loose their closed
>captioning when they are duplicated? We are a member of a purchasing
>consortium, and the master tapes come to a central location where the
>duplication is done for the group members. Many times the items say they
>are "closed captioned" but I cannot get the captioning to appear on my
>set. I have tried all the choices and looked up information on closed
>captioning. Now I am confused! Has anyone else had problems with closed
>captioning?
>
>Most of the time the captioning is unreadable, with dropped letters,
>scrambled characters, or just not there at all. On the set of tapes that
>I am doing today, I really have a weird action. I can make captioning
>appear for a few seconds. I discovered this by accident. As the tape is
>playing, I hit rewind, then hit play and a little bit of captioning
>appears then it gone. I have Caption Mode set on CAP C1 on the TV.
>
>Thanks for any help. Kathleen
>

>Kathleen Elaine Pallan
>Educational Media Center
>mtech2@worthington.k12.oh.us
>

>Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, from Worthington Schools,
>Worthington, Ohio, including any attachments,is for the sole use of the
>intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged,
>confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you
>are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive information for
>the recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure,
>distribution, copying, printing, or action taken in reliance on the
>contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received
>this communication in error, please immediately contact the sender
>and destroy the material in its entirety.
>
>Thank you

Ben Achtenberg / Fanlight Productions
4196 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02131
(617) 469-4999 Fax: (617) 469-3379
Email: Ben@Fanlight.com