RE: [Videolib] metaphors

Elizabeth Stanley (elizabeth@bullfrogfilms.com)
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:50:17 -0400

Dear Jed,

Be careful with metaphors. An independent documentary video is not a house.
Sometimes even a house is not a house. A house with the same specs, same
square footage, will sell for $67,000 in Indiana, $1.4 mil in San Francisco,
and a mere $2.8 mil in Aspen. It just seems wrong to me, too.

A video is not a house...or a toaster.

Elizabeth

> ----------

Fascinating. I am selling a DVD for $50.00. People (maybe half a dozen)
keep telling me that it is too expensive. My reply is always: 'Ask your
library to buy it and you not only share the cost but the benefit. Better
yet, buy a copy and donate it to your library when you are done.'

Tiered pricing just seems wrong to me. (It's like only selling a house to
'certain' people.) Unless it comes with some kind of added value, a copy is
a copy. The right to show our video to as many people as can be crammed
into a single room seems to be implicit in the technology and copyright law.
So I don't see the value/need for an educational or library price.

Jed

PS If we ever lower the price, it will be across the board.