RE: [Videolib] Salaries in higher ed

Cartford, Peter, JCL (CartfordP@jocolibrary.org)
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:35:07 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C347D2.C5749704

I read Marsha Sinetar's "Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow" in
1987, around the time I got my MLS. I'm still waiting.

=20

PC

=20

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library
Overland Park, KS
913-495-2496
cartfordp@jocolibrary.org=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Brantley [mailto:jbrant1@uic.edu]=20
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 11:05 AM
To: Videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Salaries in higher ed

=20

=09
more on salaries

Having read some other posts on the subject, I don't want to sound
unrealistic, but ...=20

It is really dismal. As a young librarian, with 3 years in higher
education and with a second masters, I make less than 10% more than the
original quoted stating salary. I am on a 12 month tenure track contract
and am expected to serve, present and publish nationally if I am to
progress. Given the state budget this year, we may not receive raises
for a 2nd year in a row. Chicago Public is in a worse position than we
are and, having looked around the job market, I feel like I'm in a
decent position. I wonder how this supposedly graying profession expects
to maintain motivated and high quality librarians when it is (and has
been) a financial sacrifice to practice this profession. I like what I
do and want to continue doing it, but I see what my brains and skills
can do outside of academic librarianship and I question the longevity of
my commitment in higher ed. I am encouraged by the current ALA
administration making pay equity a priority, but I think the real pay
equity must come from individuals fighting for salaries they deserve and
salaries that are comparable to the level of their qualifications.
Otherwise there will eventually be a talent vacuum in the profession, if
in fact this type of cycle has not already played out in libraries in
the past.