RE: [Videolib] Salaries in higher ed

Mike Tribby (mike.tribby@quality-books.com)
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:15:44 -0500

The direction this discussion is taking could only occur on a list populated
by academic librarians. Public libraries and even some academic libraries in
some areas pay far less than $39,000 for a brand new MLS holder. Of course
where I live you can still by a relatively nice house for under $200,000,
too. Where I *work* you can still by a nice house for under $100,000, but
you're liable to have a lot of time on your hands evenings and weekends; the
restaurants have any kind of sauce you could want as long as it's ketchup,
mustard or mayo; and the beer menus list every conceivable kind of
Budweiser, Miller and Coors brew in creation.

Talk about God's country--as the locals do...

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tribby@quality-books.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Lehman [mailto:scottl@evpl.org]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 7:51 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Salaries in higher ed

A lot of PUBLIC libraries that I know of offer even less than that to an
entry-level librarian with an MLS. The way I figure it, a Master's in
library science will get you the equivalent of what a Bachelor's should get
you in the private sector. And, quite often, a bachelor's degree will get
you, in the library world, about what the rest of the world can expect with
a high school diploma or GED.

-Scott