RE: [Videolib] Seeking data

Cartford, Peter, JCL (CartfordP@jocolibrary.org)
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:47:35 -0500

I've no hard facts to offer, but here are three talking points:

1) Circ stats--Is the VHS portion of your collection still being used
actively by patrons? If yes, then why weed it? There should be no
reason to weed other than the usual--dated content, damage, etc.

2) Content matters more than format--the question should be "How good is
the subject coverage in our video collection?" not "What format is it
on?" VHS is going to be around for a while yet, it's still the only
format on which many titles are available (if your administrators are
saying 'All new titles must be on DVD' you're in big trouble), AND
libraries (especially public ones) shouldn't be the earliest adapters of
new technologies. Yes, we need to be in there getting with it, but we
also need to hold onto the older stuff for a while to protect the
slow-movers and less privileged among our patrons.

3) The one-of-a-kind or work of art argument--many film documentaries,
while ostensibly about a "hard" subject, are free-standing works of art
in themselves. In time their currency becomes less important than the
point of view and artistry that went into their making. This would
apply to a relatively small part of the collection, but maybe the part
most in need of protection when you have bean counters handing down "Off
with their heads!" weeding edicts.

I know this doesn't get at your main point, which is finding evidence to
prove the "VHS is going to be around for a while yet" statement, but I'm
not sure anyone can do that. Who knows, maybe the world will end
tomorrow. And if your administrators have a really bad case of Lust For
a New Format, there's probably no rational cure (which the above
arguments try to be) for that either.

PC

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian