RE: [Videolib] charlie chan

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:24:51 -0400

--=====================_22436041==.ALT

Eddie Wong of the NAATA wrote:
>I regret that things are going in this direction. If we had left the
>Civil Rights Bill up to a public opinion poll, there would still be
>segregated housing in the South. Progress comes with some amount of
>pain. The victims of racial stereotyping in films have borne the burden
>too long.
>I hope to hear from you.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................."If we had left the Civil
Rights Bill up to a public opinion poll, there would still be segregated
housing in the South"............................... Did anyone else find
that comment rather insulting?
This would assume that the majorative populace of our country, as a whole,
is racist. If that is given, then we should assume that since we are a
democracy, the Civil Rights Bill was not the wishes of the populace, or the
the democracy, and therefore should not have been passed. I certainly do
not believe either theory, and would hope to think that Mr. Wong's
assertions are also inaccurate.
Initially, I avoided response to the original posting, as I saw it evolving
into a "political correctness" issue as much as a censorship issue, and not
worthy of the listserve. Gary summed it best, stating that it would be a
very slippery slope indeed, to censor this program. Theoretically, and
based on the same argument, could we see censoring of the broadcast of "My
Big Fat Greek Wedding", or "The Soprano's"?

Mark W. Kopp
Circulation Coordinator
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
580 Foot of Ten Road
Duncansville, Pa 16635
(814) 695-1972 Phone
(814) 695-3018 Fax
E-Address:
mailto:iu8film@iu08.org
See us on the Web at:
<http://www.iu08.org>http://www.iu08.org

Eddie Wong of the NAATA wrote:

I regret that things are going in this direction.  If we had left the Civil Rights Bill up to a public opinion poll, there would still be segregated housing in the South.  Progress comes with some amount of pain.  The victims of racial stereotyping in films have borne the burden too long.
I hope to hear from you.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................."If we had left the Civil Rights Bill up to a public opinion poll, there would still be segregated housing in the South"............................... Did anyone else find that comment rather insulting?