Re: [Videolib] charlie chan

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:39:07 -0700

--Apple-Mail-2--488547052

Hi Gary,

Please add my name to the petition, too.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 12:22 PM, Gary Handman wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Got this note from Eddie Wong of NAATA. See my response (I will append=20=

> names of those who signed on to the earlier petition).=A0 Anyone else=20=

> who wants to sign on before I hit "SEND" should let me know today.=A0=20=

> I've touched bases with the OIF--as expected, since this isn't really=20=

> "a library matter," they're not interested in joining in.=A0 I did get=20=

> good bits of advice, tho...working with NAATA, being one of them.
>
> -- Gary and Joan,=A0
> I was forwarded your email and wanted to open up some dialog.=A0 As =
you=20
> know, NAATA was one of the group's asking Fox to cancel the Chan=20
> series.=A0 I'm sure you can understand the reasons why Asian Americans=20=

> find Chan to be an offensive stereotype.=A0
> I also understand your position.=A0 I believe that Fox or any network=20=

> that chooses to show racially stereotypical movies should alert the=20
> viewers to the broader context of the work.=A0 The History Channel=20
> apparently does this by having a panel discussion before and after the=20=

> broadcast of "Birth of a Nation," DW Griffith paen to the KKK.=A0 =
Having=20
> Fox do this with the Chan films would educate the audience.=A0 Most=20
> commercial networks, however, aren't in the education business. All=20
> they care about is getting the ads sold.=A0 So if it is a choice =
between=20
> having racist movies on air without contextualization and not having=20=

> them on air at all, I still favor not having them on air at all.=A0 =
The=20

eddie@naatanet.orgurl;=A0=20
> [...]
> become a NAATA member, visit www.naatanet.org/aboutus
>

> Dear Eddie
>
> Thanks for your thoughtful note; I appreciate your contacting us.=A0=A0=A0=
=20
> As I am sure you aware, the discussion group I represent (The American=20=

> Library Association Video Round Table/Videolib listserv) comprises=20
> librarians, educators, film/video producers and distributors.=A0 As a=20=

> group, we have enormous respect for NAATA and its programs.=A0 The VRT=20=

> has worked very hard over the past 15 years to establish close working=20=

> relations with independent filmmakers and distributors.=A0 We feel=20
> strongly that video librarians and indie video producers must continue=20=

> to work closely together to ensure the availability of diverse,=20
> quality collections and programming in libraries and schools.=A0 At =
the=20
> same time, as librarians and educators, it is equally important to us=20=

> to ensure freedom of expression, freedom of access, and continuing=20
> access to the full-range of our printed and visual history.=A0 We are=20=

> painfully aware of the long history of negative stereotypes in the=20
> media in this country, and we celebrate the growing diversity of=20
> voices and visions available on film and video that are striving to=20
> counteract these images.=A0 It is our strong position, however, that =
no=20
> one is served by ignoring the past or by limiting access to the=20
> cultural record.=A0=A0 The history of movies is, as you know,=A0 one =
that=20
> includes a legacy of stereotype and other hurtful cultural images.=A0=20=

> It's our job as librarians and educators to provide both access and=20
> context to these images so they may be viewed and discussed in a=20
> hopefully more enlightened light.
>
> We would very much like to work with both NAATA and Fox to develop a=20=

> way to present the Charlie Chan films in a historical and cultural=20
> perspective.=A0 I look forward to discussing the possibilities further=20=

> with you.
>

> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
> "What is cinema? Nothing. What does cinema want? Everything. What can
> cinema do? Something."
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0--Jean-Luc Godard, Histoire(s) du cinema

--Apple-Mail-2--488547052

Hi Gary,

Please add my name to the petition, too.

Brigid Duffy

Audio Visual/ITV Center

San Francisco State University

San Francisco CA 94132-4200

E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 12:22 PM, Gary Handman wrote:

<excerpt>Hi all

Got this note from Eddie Wong of NAATA. See my response (I will append
names of those who signed on to the earlier petition).=A0 Anyone else
who wants to sign on before I hit "SEND" should let me know
<underline>today</underline>.=A0 I've touched bases with the OIF--as
expected, since this isn't really "a library matter," they're not
interested in joining in.=A0 I did get good bits of advice,
[...]

</color></underline>become a NAATA member, visit

</color></underline>Dear Eddie

[...]

no one is served by ignoring the past or by limiting access to the
cultural record.=A0=A0 The history of movies is, as you know,=A0 one =
that
includes a legacy of stereotype and other hurtful cultural images.=A0
It's our job as librarians and educators to provide both access and
context to these images so they may be viewed and discussed in a
hopefully more enlightened light.

We would very much like to work with both NAATA and Fox to develop a
way to present the Charlie Chan films in a historical and cultural
perspective.=A0 I look forward to discussing the possibilities further
with you.

UC Berkeley

ghandman@library.berkeley.edu

=
/MRC</color></underline>

"What is cinema? Nothing. What does cinema want? Everything. What can

cinema do? Something."

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0--Jean-Luc Godard, Histoire(s) du cinema

</excerpt>=

--Apple-Mail-2--488547052--