RE: [Videolib] charlie chan

Owens, Joyce A (owensja@indiana.edu)
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 15:07:39 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3419E.C0FB2F92

Gary,
=20
I would like my name added to the list of signers. Thank you!
=20
Joyce Owens=20
Head of Information Services=20
Fine Arts Library=20
Indiana University=20
Bloomington, IN 47405=20

(812) 855-4596=20
owensja@indiana.edu=20
Fax (812) 855-3443=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Handman [mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu]=20
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 2:23 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] charlie chan
=09
Hi all
=09
Got this note from Eddie Wong of NAATA. See my response (I will
append names of those who signed on to the earlier petition). Anyone
else who wants to sign on before I hit "SEND" should let me know today.
I've touched bases with the OIF--as expected, since this isn't really "a
library matter," they're not interested in joining in. I did get good
bits of advice, tho...working with NAATA, being one of them.
=09
-- Gary and Joan, =20
I was forwarded your email and wanted to open up some dialog.
As you know, NAATA was one of the group's asking Fox to cancel the Chan
series. I'm sure you can understand the reasons why Asian Americans
find Chan to be an offensive stereotype. =20
I also understand your position. I believe that Fox or any
network that chooses to show racially stereotypical movies should alert
the viewers to the broader context of the work. The History Channel
apparently does this by having a panel discussion before and after the
broadcast of "Birth of a Nation," DW Griffith paen to the KKK. Having
Fox do this with the Chan films would educate the audience. Most
commercial networks, however, aren't in the education business. All they
care about is getting the ads sold. So if it is a choice between having
racist movies on air without contextualization and not having them on
air at all, I still favor not having them on air at all. The emails
that are coming to NAATA reveal a great ignorance about racism and media
literacy. People who tell us that we should "turn the channel" and
"lighten up" really don't understand that racial stereotypes have a
detrimental impact on Asian American self-esteem, not to mention
engender racial hatred.
Fox has opened the door to bring back the series. On the Fox
Movie Channel Website, they say they will leave it up to public opinion.
Perhaps, we will have to deal with this issue and can work together on
getting Fox to put some strong disclaimers or additional commentary as
the series continues. =20
I regret that things are going in this direction. If we had
left the Civil Rights Bill up to a public opinion poll, there would
still be segregated housing in the South. Progress comes with some
amount of pain. The victims of racial stereotyping in films have borne
the burden too long.
I hope to hear from you.
=09
Eddie WongExecutive DirectorNAATA145 9th St., Ste 350S.F., CA
94103415 863-0814 ext. 103415 863-7428 faxe: eddie@naatanet.orgurl;
www.naatanet.org <http://www.naatanet.org/>=20
become a NAATA member, visit www.naatanet.org/
<http://www.naatanet.org/aboutus> aboutus
=09
=09
<http://www.naatanet.org/aboutus> Dear Eddie
=09
Thanks for your thoughtful note; I appreciate your contacting
us. As I am sure you aware, the discussion group I represent (The
American Library Association Video Round Table/Videolib listserv)
comprises librarians, educators, film/video producers and distributors.
As a group, we have enormous respect for NAATA and its programs. The
VRT has worked very hard over the past 15 years to establish close
working relations with independent filmmakers and distributors. We feel
strongly that video librarians and indie video producers must continue
to work closely together to ensure the availability of diverse, quality
collections and programming in libraries and schools. At the same time,
as librarians and educators, it is equally important to us to ensure
freedom of expression, freedom of access, and continuing access to the
full-range of our printed and visual history. We are painfully aware of
the long history of negative stereotypes in the media in this country,
and we celebrate the growing diversity of voices and visions available
on film and video that are striving to counteract these images. It is
our strong position, however, that no one is served by ignoring the past
or by limiting access to the cultural record. The history of movies
is, as you know, one that includes a legacy of stereotype and other
hurtful cultural images. It's our job as librarians and educators to
provide both access and context to these images so they may be viewed
and discussed in a hopefully more enlightened light.=20
=09
We would very much like to work with both NAATA and Fox to
develop a way to present the Charlie Chan films in a historical and
cultural perspective. I look forward to discussing the possibilities
further with you.
=09
=09
=09
UC Berkeley

"What is cinema? Nothing. What does cinema want? Everything.
What can
cinema do? Something."
--Jean-Luc Godard, Histoire(s) du cinema=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3419E.C0FB2F92

Message

Gary,

I=20 would like my name added to the list of signers.  Thank=20 you!

Joyce = Owens
Head of Information Services=20
Fine Arts = Library=20
Indiana = University=20