=?iso-8859-1?Q?RE=3A_=5BVideolib=5D__NAATA=A0_=26=A0_Fox_+_Wong_+Hayakawa?=

Cartford, Peter, JCL (CartfordP@jocolibrary.org)
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:57:02 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C34194.E345AB68

Where would this list be without Jessica ?!

=20

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library
Overland Park, KS
913-495-2496
cartfordp@jocolibrary.org=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Jessica Rosner [mailto:jrosner@kino.com]=20
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 2:30 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] NAATA & Fox + Wong +Hayakawa

=20

Dennis
I have NO problem if NAATA wanted to pressure Fox to show the Chan's =
showed IN CONTEXT but they wanted them banned. I think the Wong & =
Hayakawa comparison is more than fair. They allege that the Chan's =
should not even be SEEN because they perpetuate bad stereotypes of =
Asians yet they UNDERSTAND and SUPPORT studying and screening Wong & =
Hayakawa films many of which perpetuate the same or worse stereotypes. =
To me this is clear double standard in that is it is OK for Asian actors =
to play offensive characters because "they had no choice" but if I white =
actor plays a character who is by ANY standard for less offensive that =
SOME characters played by the above of the above, it is so horrific that =
it can't be shown to the general public.=20

I also think it is going to get VERY messy if ever offended ethnic or =
political group insists that
any old movie with offensive content must be shown in "context". Since =
this would simply make it too expensive for the already wary studios to =
show those old movies they don't care that much about in the first =
place.

Don't worry you will be rid of me in an hour and you can post anything =
you want about
Chan, Wong OR the Cubs
--=20
Jessica Rosner