RE: [Videolib] charlie chan

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 08:52:56 -0500

Gary, you can add me, too. This looks great.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
PHONE: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
www.aurora.lib.il.us
E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Handman [mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 3:45 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] charlie chan

ok... how about this statement for signature (consider it a first draft, but
I'd like to get something out to the group for signature soon). The way I'd
see this going is that those of you who support the document send me your
name and title and I'll append to the statement and send off to fox and
naata.

We the undersigned are disturbed by and strongly object to the Fox Movie
Channel's recent decision to suspend the broadcast of the Charlie Chan film
series. As individuals variously involved in collecting, providing access
to, programming, and teaching about film and video in schools and libraries,
we feel that all films have something to tell us about ourselves and our
culture, past and present. Films such as the Charlie Chan series present a
snapshot of past cultural notions that deserve to be placed in historical
context, viewed, and discussed, not censored. The action taken by Fox does
nothing to "evoke discussion about the progress made in our modern,
multicultural society;" it basically stifles such discussion by attempting
to deny the past and hide the cultural record. We feel that Fox's decision
is no less insidious and dangerous to the public good than the prejudice and
stereotypes it attempts to avoid. We hope that Fox will seriously
reconsider this action. As librarians and teachers we would welcome the
opportunity to help provide background materials that could be used to
provide a social context for this programming.

UC Berkeley
ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC <http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC>

"What is cinema? Nothing. What does cinema want? Everything. What can
cinema do? Something."
--Jean-Luc Godard, Histoire(s) du cinema