RE: [Videolib] charlie chan

Lisa Irwin (LisaI@kpl.gov)
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 08:59:42 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_444B9_01C34141.E9EB0880
x-gfisavedcharset: iso-8859-1

This sounds great...sign me on.
=20
Lisa Irwin=20
Audiovisual Services=20
Kalamazoo Public Library=20
Library of the Year 2002=20
(269) 553-7923=20
lisai@kpl.gov=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Handman [mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 4:45 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] charlie chan

ok... how about this statement for signature (consider it a first draft, =
but I'd like to get something out to the group for signature soon). The =
way I'd see this going is that those of you who support the document =
send me your name and title and I'll append to the statement and send =
off to fox and naata.

We the undersigned are disturbed by and strongly object to the Fox Movie =
Channel's recent decision to suspend the broadcast of the Charlie Chan =
film series. As individuals variously involved in collecting, providing =
access to, programming, and teaching about film and video in schools and =
libraries, we feel that all films have something to tell us about =
ourselves and our culture, past and present. Films such as the Charlie =
Chan series present a snapshot of past cultural notions that deserve to =
be placed in historical context, viewed, and discussed, not censored. =
The action taken by Fox does nothing to "evoke discussion about the =
progress made in our modern, multicultural society;" it basically =
stifles such discussion by attempting to deny the past and hide the =
cultural record. We feel that Fox's decision is no less insidious and =
dangerous to the public good than the prejudice and stereotypes it =
attempts to avoid. We hope that Fox will seriously reconsider this =
action. As librarians and teachers we would welcome the opportunity to =
help provide background materials that could be used to provide a social =
context for this programming.
=20

UC Berkeley

"What is cinema? Nothing. What does cinema want? Everything. What can
cinema do? Something."
--Jean-Luc Godard, Histoire(s) du cinema=20

------=_NextPart_000_444B9_01C34141.E9EB0880
x-gfisavedcharset: iso-8859-1

This=20 sounds great...sign me on.

Lisa Irwin