RE: [Videolib] NAATA & Fox

Milos Stehlik (milos@interaccess.com)
Thu, 03 Jul 2003 06:39:20 -0500

I think that Joan has a big point, and I would suggest that someone talk to
NAATA first and ask to hear their views. I think the issue - that video
librarians are upset with their getting Fox to withdraw the Charlie Chan
films - is one they would (and need to) seriously listen to.

Censorship or banning films is never the right option, but they are a very
good organization which has fought hard and long for the inclusion of Asian
Americans on American television (including PBS) - something which is a BIG
issue. They have given support to filmmakers like Wayne Wang, Arthur Dong,
Rene Tajima and others, organized an annual festival of Asian American work
in LA, and fought hard to prove that there are voices and representations of
Asians or Asian Americans OTHER than EITHER Charlie Chan OR Jackie Chan. (No
offense to either, they were/are both great)

Obviously the perceptions of racial insensitivity in the Charlie Chan series
were/are real to Asian Americans. This can't be ignored. What we should try
to get NAATA to see (something which will hopefully have a more profound
effect than a petition to a mindless channel like Fox) is that there are
ways of programming and placing films with views that are anachronistic or
offensive into context so that audiences viewing them can LEARN rather than
remain ignorant of film history altogether. From the Charlie Chan series on
Fox, NAATA could have tried to create a platform for discussion. But perhaps
they tried this - we need to ask before ouorselves becoming guilty of
over-reaction and negative judgment of an important organization, which
librarians and others should support.

Milos Stehlik
Facets Multi-Media, Inc.
1517 West Fullerton Avenue