RE: [Videolib] charlie chan

Katherine Litwin (klitwin@facets.org)
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 17:14:10 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C340BD.5A593C20

Gary,

Well put- especially the part about this being an attempt to deny the past.
Please add my name.

Katherine Litwin
Sales Representative
Libraries & Educational Accounts
klitwin@facets.org
************
Facets Multi-Media Inc.
1517 W Fullerton Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614
Sales: 800-331-6197
General: 773-281-9075
Fax: 773-929-5437
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 3:45 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] charlie chan

ok... how about this statement for signature (consider it a first draft,
but I'd like to get something out to the group for signature soon). The way
I'd see this going is that those of you who support the document send me
your name and title and I'll append to the statement and send off to fox and
naata.

We the undersigned are disturbed by and strongly object to the Fox Movie
Channel's recent decision to suspend the broadcast of the Charlie Chan film
series. As individuals variously involved in collecting, providing access
to, programming, and teaching about film and video in schools and libraries,
we feel that all films have something to tell us about ourselves and our
culture, past and present. Films such as the Charlie Chan series present a
snapshot of past cultural notions that deserve to be placed in historical
context, viewed, and discussed, not censored. The action taken by Fox does
nothing to "evoke discussion about the progress made in our modern,
multicultural society;" it basically stifles such discussion by attempting
to deny the past and hide the cultural record. We feel that Fox's decision
is no less insidious and dangerous to the public good than the prejudice and
stereotypes it attempts to avoid. We hope that Fox will seriously
reconsider this action. As librarians and teachers we would welcome the
opportunity to help provide background materials that could be used to
provide a social context for this programming.

UC Berkeley

"What is cinema? Nothing. What does cinema want? Everything. What can
cinema do? Something."
--Jean-Luc Godard, Histoire(s) du cinema

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C340BD.5A593C20

Gary,

Well=20 put- especially the part about this being an attempt to deny the past. = Please=20 add my name.

Katherine = Litwin
Sales = Representative
Libraries & = Educational=20 Accounts
klitwin@facets.org