Re: [Videolib] Censorship from NAATA & Fox Movie Station

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:17:57 -0500

Unfortunately, public schools are already on their way to privatization in
the form of corporate sponsorships - to pay for what the local school boards
and state departments of education are unable (read unwilling) to support.
Is it acceptable - no. Is it inevitable - it appears to be.

In advocating that Fox Movie Station refrain from showing Charlie Chan
movies, NAATA and other Asian American groups are missing a golden
opportunity to offer discussions about stereotyping and other cultural
issues related to these films. The History channel regularly shows movies
about historical events and intersperses the broadcasts with discussions
among historians and others knowledgeable about the depicted event. Why did
NAATA not offer to work with Fox along a similar line to provide cultural
education to a mass audience?

How can we determine the degree of our progress to improve anything if we
cannot be informed of the source of the problem?

Willing to sign Gary's petition,
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State University