RE: [Videolib] Censorship from NAATA & Fox Movie Station

Lisa Irwin (LisaI@kpl.gov)
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 12:12:52 -0400

Linda,

Just wondering what you think about applying the same rationale to public libraries and public schools. If the public doesn't want to pay for them, do you think it is acceptable that public schools and libraries are privatized by the for-profit sector as well?

Lisa Irwin
Audiovisual Services
Kalamazoo Public Library
Library of the Year 2002
(269) 553-7923
lisai@kpl.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Fox [mailto:lfox@gw.neric.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 11:34 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Censorship from NAATA & Fox Movie Station

Jed;
I think we have given the broadcast spectrum away to the highest
bidders (media moguls) and will continue to do so - because we must
continue to lower taxes. If the public doesn't want to pay for the
broadcast spectrum (and they don't ) then it goes to private hands. The
same way that we now have a Pepsi Arena here in Albany, NY. Because the
city didn't want to pay for the arena. Since the Pepsi company now owns
arena, they can for example, decide not to allow Eminem to perform
there. I think it's an old but increasingly true adage - that he who
pays gets to make the rules. If our public officials insist on lowering
taxes and increasing privitization, corporations will be making the
decisions and "we the people" have "sold" them that right - for lower
taxes.
Just a note - the ALA didn't define censorship as control by a
government entity - Webster's dictionary did.
Have a good day.
Linda Fox (not Fox news)

>>> JedH@videopipeline.com 07/02/03 11:05AM >>>
I think the ALA is missing the boat. Like so many things, government
has
outsourced censorship. Have we given away the monopoly on broadcast
spectrum without retaining any interest in it as a commons?
Jed
PS Does anybody know who controls the performance license for the
Charlie
Chan films