RE: [Videolib] NAATA & Fox

Elizabeth Stanley (elizabeth@bullfrogfilms.com)
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:48:00 -0400

The petition is a good idea, Gary.

But first, has anyone from Video Round Table talked with the leadership of
NAATA to find out the facts?

Check out their forum with letters to and from Fox on the issue:

http://www.naatanet.org/forumarchive/index.html

NAATA Distribution
145 Ninth Street, Suite 350
San Francisco, CA 94103

distribution@naatanet.org
Phone: 415-552-9550
800-343-5540

Elizabeth

> ----------

I have a proposal... There are over 600 people who subscribe to this
list--librarians, teachers, filmmakers, distributors. Those of us who
feel that Fox's actions are an irresponsible (and plain stupid) could sign
a petition that could be submitted to Fox. Even if only half of us signed,
it's hard to believe Fox would just blow the whole thing off.

I personally am not willing to see political correctness wreak havoc with
the annals of visual culture in this country.

At 10:08 AM 7/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Of course the ALA has an Office of Intellectual Freedom. But the Fox
>Channel is a private organization that can do as it pleases. Censorship
>is specifically defined as a banning of information by a public or
>government agency (like a school or a state government office). On a
>somewhat different but related note: There is a book titled Censorship
>2001: 25 Years of Censored News (Available on amazon). The book tells
>the stories that never make to your news broadcasts. Take a look at -
>get it from your local library. You will be shocked!
>News channels make decisions (right or wrong) all the time about what
>they will and will not show their viewers. And isn't that why there was
>such a hue and cry over the latest FCC decision about ownership of the
>media? This is much bigger than Charlie Chan. Charlie Chan is the tip of
>this proverbial iceberg.
>

>Linda Fox - Director VOICE: (518) 786-3221
>School Library System FAX: (518) 786-6401
>Capital Region BOCES E-MAIL: lfox@gw.neric.org
>6G British American Blvd. URL: www.crbsls.org
>Latham, NY 12110 Member - NYLA Legislative Committee
>Member

>I agree. Mr. Chan is a hero of mine. So what can we do about it?
>Doesn't
>the ALA have a group involved in censorship issues?
>Jed Horovitz

UC Berkeley

"What is cinema? Nothing. What does cinema want? Everything. What can
cinema do? Something."
--Jean-Luc Godard, Histoire(s) du cinema