RE: [Videolib] Censorship from NAATA & Fox Movie Station

Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:10:37 -0700

I have a proposal... There are over 600 people who subscribe to this
list--librarians, teachers, filmmakers, distributors. Those of us who
feel that Fox's actions are an irresponsible (and plain stupid) could sign
a petition that could be submitted to Fox. Even if only half of us signed,
it's hard to believe Fox would just blow the whole thing off.

I personally am not willing to see political correctness wreak havoc with
the annals of visual culture in this country.

At 10:08 AM 7/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Of course the ALA has an Office of Intellectual Freedom. But the Fox
>Channel is a private organization that can do as it pleases. Censorship
>is specifically defined as a banning of information by a public or
>government agency (like a school or a state government office). On a
>somewhat different but related note: There is a book titled Censorship
>2001: 25 Years of Censored News (Available on amazon). The book tells
>the stories that never make to your news broadcasts. Take a look at -
>get it from your local library. You will be shocked!
>News channels make decisions (right or wrong) all the time about what
>they will and will not show their viewers. And isn't that why there was
>such a hue and cry over the latest FCC decision about ownership of the
>media? This is much bigger than Charlie Chan. Charlie Chan is the tip of
>this proverbial iceberg.
>

>Linda Fox - Director VOICE: (518) 786-3221
>School Library System FAX: (518) 786-6401
>Capital Region BOCES E-MAIL: lfox@gw.neric.org
>6G British American Blvd. URL: www.crbsls.org
>Latham, NY 12110 Member - NYLA Legislative Committee
>Member

>I agree. Mr. Chan is a hero of mine. So what can we do about it?
>Doesn't
>the ALA have a group involved in censorship issues?
>Jed Horovitz

UC Berkeley

"What is cinema? Nothing. What does cinema want? Everything. What can
cinema do? Something."
--Jean-Luc Godard, Histoire(s) du cinema