RE: [Videolib] Censorship from NAATA & Fox Movie Station

Jed Horovitz (JedH@videopipeline.com)
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:34:57 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_004B_01C3407D.343BF4A0

I agree. Mr. Chan is a hero of mine. So what can we do about it? Doesn't
the ALA have a group involved in censorship issues?
Jed Horovitz

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Mary M. Kirby
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 7:59 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Censorship from NAATA & Fox Movie Station

Bravo, Jessica. This would be terrible censorship, if indeed it happens.

Has the NAATA watched these movies before deciding to "ban them"? Sure
doesn't sound like it.

Mary Kirby
Library Media Project
www.librarymedia.org

At 06:56 PM 7/1/03 -0400, you wrote:

I am sure I am opening up a BIG can of worms here but I am VERY upset
and sad that due a complaint from NAATA and other Asian American
organizations the Fox Movie Channel has abruptly cancelled showings of
the classic Charlie Chan films from the thirties. I think it is
appalling
and tragic that ANY media organization would encourage censorship to the
extent of preventing films from being seen. What is particularly
upsetting is that I doubt most of these people have ever WATCHED these
films. While the issue of white actors playing Asian roles can be
endlessly
debated , do we ban ALL films in which white actors play Indians,
Blacks,
Asians , Non- Jews playing Jews etc ? In fact the Chan character IS NOT
the shuffling pigeon English speaking buffoon described in NAATA's
letter of
complaint , but a well educated , well spoken HERO who always solves the
mystery the white police CAN'T . I realize it is not
my place to tell someone what is and is not a stereotype of their group
but
I would love to know exactly WHICH films people watched to come to this
conclusion. The Charlie Chan films are much prized by film & mystery
buffs
and are wonderful "B" movies that helped launch the careers of many
notable
directors, writers & actors
To get these films "banned" by removing them from TV ( You can't get
them
legally on video) is the worst kind of censorship. Should Kino stop
selling
BROKEN BLOSSOMS or THE CHEAT since they contain respectively a white
actor
playing a Chinese character and a stereotype of a lustful Asian. I hope
they
plan on campaigning against the many of the films by starring Anna Mae
Wong
& Sessue Hayakawa which often contain stereotypes for worse than
Charlie
Chan even if the actors were Asian

It is just inexcusable to encourage Fox or anyone to remove
a film that you find offensive. If they wanted Fox to do some after
commentary or have links to a web site explaining their position that
would
have been an excellent way of getting their view across. This is
censorship
pure & simple

There is one amusing bit of irony in that the highest rated show
on the Fox News Channel is Bill O'Reilly who spends a LOT of time
attacking the "left" for their "PC" attitudes on cultural issues
I suggest he look in his own backyard.
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com

------=_NextPart_000_004B_01C3407D.343BF4A0

I=20 agree.   Mr. Chan is a hero of mine.  So what can we do = about=20 it?  Doesn't the ALA have a group involved in censorship=20 issues?
Jed=20 Horovitz