RE: [Videolib] Advertising of films shown in public library

Gena Zelenka (gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us)
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:30:53 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C335C7.C00EB820

Also, you can reference the BOOK the film is based on, e.g. "The film =
based on the book THE MALTESE FALCON or FARWELL MY LOVELY will be shown =
and discussed at the library." That's what I do. It's also been my =
experience that if we send that info to the newspaper they usually just =
give the movie title and don't reference the book, but since the library =
sent the info that way it's out of our hands. Make sense? It's a little =
nuts. Gena

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Sober [mailto:msober@mail.pratt.lib.md.us]
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 1:40 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Advertising of films shown in public library

I know of a local library system that used to do advertising like:=20
"A major motion picture starring Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Sidney =
Greenstreet, and Peter Lorre."=20
or=20
"A classic animated film about the adventures of a young deer who loses =
his mother." (I'd be really careful with any Disney film, but I don't =
remember Disney doing any hard-boiled detcetive films).=20

Stephen Head wrote:=20

I'm fairly certain that this topic has been discussed on this list, but =
I am new to the list and new to my current position.I'm responsible for =
setting up adult programming for our library and its branches and part =
of what I'd like to do is a film series that would run in conjunction =
with a speaker(s) discussing hard-boiled crime fiction.I know about the =
two main site licensing companies and have contacted them for pricing of =
a contract.My problem with them is that they don't allow the holder of =
the license to advertise film titles.I'm sure they have their reasons, =
but I don't feel that advertising a film series without titles is very =
productive.I know there are ways around this because I see other =
libraries advertising specific titles all the time.Either they are =
cheating or they are contracting for a license through someone else.

So, do I have to license with each individual distributor to show =
specific titles and advertise them?Is this costly?There is no budget for =
programming for our system, so I have to beg, steal or borrow to =
implement anything.Please respond to me off list as I'm sure that this =
topic has been covered and I wouldn't want to clutter up everyone's =
email with a repetition.=20

Thanks so much for your help,=20

Stephen R. Head=20

Systems Services Librarian=20

Sara Hightower Regional Library System=20

205 Riverside Pkwy, NE=20

Rome, Georgia 30161 =20

706-236-4612=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C335C7.C00EB820

Also,=20 you can reference the BOOK the film is based on, e.g. "The film based on = the=20 book THE MALTESE FALCON or FARWELL MY LOVELY will be shown and discussed = at the=20 library." That's what I do.  It's also been my experience that if = we send=20 that info to the newspaper they usually just give the movie title and = don't=20 reference the book, but since the library sent the info that way it's = out of our=20 hands. Make sense? It's a little nuts. Gena