Re: [Videolib] Russian films

MileFilms@aol.com
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:06:41 EDT

--part1_16d.1dde9610.2c1a3751_boundary

In a message dated 6/12/03 3:31:31 PM, rpancoe@mail.colgate.edu writes:

> We are trying to put together a Russian film series for the Fall and=20
> haven't had any luck in finding who distributes the films along with publi=
c=20
> performance licenses for JAZZ COMEDY (aka JOLLY FELLOWS), 1934, Grigorii=20
> Aleksandrov, THE BURGLAR, 1986, Valerii Ogorodnikov, and THE NEEDLE, 1988,=
Rashid=20
> Nugmanov.=A0 We would prefer 35mm but 16mm or DVD would also be acceptable=
or am I=20
> looking for the impossible?=A0=A0 Any information would be appreciated.=
=A0
>=20

Dear Rhonda,

The Jolly Fellows was put out on VHS by Polart a few years back in a=20
quasi-public-domain version. Sadly, it sort of precluded our hopes (at that=20=
time) of=20
putting it out. Check Russica if they released it on DVD, but if not, it wou=
ld=20
be hard to find otherwise. There are 16mm prints of one of Alexandrov's othe=
r=20
films, Volga, Volga (also bought out on VHS from Polart as well as The Circu=
s)=20
floating around from its distribution during the Brandon Film days. It's a=20
fine film too. Warning: to my mind (and others are welcome to disagree), the=
se=20
musicals from the 1930s need a little context since they were created as=20
distractions from the dark days of the Stalin purges. Sort of a Depression-e=
ra Fred=20
and Ginger meet the death camps.=20

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video