Re: [Videolib] public performance in public libraries

muller@sonoma.edu
Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:50:23 -0700 (PDT)

Bingo, Francis. One great example I've seen used is the film "It's a Wonderful
Life". The picture fell into "public domain" some years back, and everybody and his
kid brother who had a print exploited it.

As I understand the situation, though, the current copyright holders were able to
secure the rights to the original Philip Van Doren Stern story, the screenplay, and
the music by Dimitri Tiomkin. It was pointed out that the images are still in public
domain, but the sound and story rights are still held. This prevents the unauthorized
airings and duplications that were rampant in the years past... At least that was the way it was explained to me.

Of course, if some imaginative individual pulled a "What's Up Tiger Lilly" style
revision that deleted the soundtrack and told a different story & dialogue it'd be great test case... ;)

As has been stated elsewhere, a few years from now, when all visual, audio and
print materials are centralized in a single massive conglomerate database (accessible
only on an individual pay-per-use basis!) this whole discussion thread will be moot.

-JM