RE: [Videolib] public performance in public libraries

Jed Horovitz (JedH@videopipeline.com)
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:56:52 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0246_01C32A90.6346AFE0

I resent the insinuation that I suggested 'screwing over' anyone. As a film
maker, I rely on copyright myself. But as an actual creator (as opposed to
distributor) I am keenly aware that 'orginality' has been mythologized.
Every work is built upon previous work and is input for future work.
Libraries and librarians insure that cultural continuity.

I agree that no one should sneak around. Our society is based on the rule
of law. I am oppossed to 'don't ask, don't tell' as well. What we are
talking about is standing up to ongoing 'bait and switch' by copyright
expansionists. Large monopolies that can manipulate the law to their
benefit without our direct consent. I am saying stand up and resist in
court, in congress, in public. Establish the position that non admission,
non public screenings to self assembled groups do not require a license in
homes or libraries.

Jed