RE: [Videolib] public performance in public libraries

Jed Horovitz (JedH@videopipeline.com)
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:03:51 -0400

Tracy,
I really disagree with Dawn. 'Getting around' this is the problem. We have
to resist the ongoing, incremental effort to expand copyright in favor of
the distribution companies. Only by saying, "The library paid for this and
has the right to show it in the library to patrons", will we stop them from
creating a pay per view society.

It is not a violation of copyright law. The copyright owners want you to
think it is. No where in the copyright law does it state that are they
allowed to create a 'shrink wrap' license by printing 'home use only' on the
cover. If enough of us don't use our FIRST SALE, FAIR USE and FREE SPEECH
rights, they start to claim that as a precendent. Stand up to them.

Just this week, the ALA filed an amicus brief (Baystate Technologies, Inc.
v. Bowers, petition to the U.S. Supreme Court) supporting my position.

Jed Horovitz
President
Video Pipeline, Inc.
16 S. Haddon Ave.