RE: [Videolib] Digital materials and library collections

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Wed, 28 May 2003 14:48:26 -0400

--=====================_24100351==.ALT

And I too will jump into this foray with the opinion that so-called
Delivery-on-Demand, or Streaming Video, or any other term you wish to give
this bandwidth-intensive monster, is way off in the distant future. The
current REALISTIC model is still forward and store.

With Educational vendors creating chaptered files and providing the option
of video segments, and whereby full length films need not be downloaded but
merely the sections that are needed, we are then in a position to
offer...and I remind everyone that my prospective is from an Educational
setting, primarily K-12... a package that makes sense to those who wish to
utilize our wares without the need for a bizillion megabit digital pipeline.

The processes for this reality are already available, and the logistics are
working themselves out. There are a handful of vendors that are "listening"
who can give you their tour of their product that will accommodate your
needs in this realm. The following is a copy of the message that I sent to
several others interested in one of many options:

-------------------------------
digital title, I wanted to call to your attention the details of the
process in which we are currently involved. We maintain full control of our
digital files through our Media Library management software, whereby the
digital file is encoded and can only be opened by our customized viewer and
only when there is a reservation for this particular title by the patron
attempting to open the file.

We can set how many simultaneous users any particular title can have, and
allow as few as one or as many as we wish or are allowed by the agreement
we negotiate with that vendor. We have complete flexibility and when a
building does not have the bandwidth capabilities to downloads video files,
we can send them an encrypted CD-ROM with that particular file (at less
that $.50 per copy...CD's are cheap!), and they simply utilize the viewer
that we supply.

The only real drawback, if one wants to look at it as a drawback, is the
fact that if you wish to show the material, it must be shown on an Internet
connected machine, as the viewer must contact the server to make the
necessary security confirmations.

The developer is Niche Solutions ( http://www.niche-solutions.com ), and
the product is called MediaTrak. If you wish to contact me for more info,
feel free to do so, or contact the developer/provider at 610-391-9389

You will find that this package is very unique the Media Library world, in
that it provides the Library package, the Web presence including the patron
interface, and the Digital Delivery. It is turnkey and is built from the
prospective of a Media Center. I know I may sound like a salesman or
something but it is only because I helped with the digital delivery
portion, and that is why I say it is built from the prospective of a Media
Library.

You also may wish to look at the e-Mod Interactive Digital Video Delivery
System (contact Bob Dunlap at IDVS7@aol.com), or the Classroom Media on
Demand from Lucerne Media (contact LM@lucernemedia.com).

I agree that there are many obstacles in the way of efficient Digital
Delivery, but it is a new world to everyone and we are slated to deliver
that new world to the classroom. Let's make sure that we, as Media Centers
and Libraries, are the ones delivering.

Mark
At 09:24 AM 5/28/03 -0700, you wrote:
> [...]
>to fall on the end-provider to do the digitization, to store the bites,
>etc. How many libraries (even a big bad place like UC Berkeley) have the
>right stuff to pull this off? (see my point 3 above...) On the other
>hand, it's my guess that we won't be seeing abovementioned non-feature
>folks getting into the on-demand business any time soon
>
>Which brings me to point 4 (utility/access)...Given the barren content
>landscape, we're considering digital...why?
>Music and sound files are one thing...the digital world is here, now, and
>rip-roaring. Video is another thing completely. We are still years away
>from the bandwidth and infrastructure required to receive video that
>doesn't look like it has Tourette's syndrome... In academic settings,
>such as the one I live in, while classroom infrastructure upgrade has
>finally made it possible for most locations on campus to receive
>digital, there's still the little matter of end-user meltdown: it's hard
>enough getting faculty to slide in a videocassette, let alone deal with
>the mysteries of streamed media.
>
>...think I'll quit now and wipe the foam off my lips...
>
>gary
>

>At 09:39 AM 5/28/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hi Claire,
>>
>>I like your ideal world! Help me take this a step further by imagining
>>how these digital copies will be loaned. Libraries begin to build
>>digital collections of video, audiobooks and music under the ideal
>>conditions you have described. How would the materials be delivered? It
>>seems that digital materials could either be burned to disc or
>>transferred to a portable viewing/listening device at the library or
>>"checked out" from the library catalog and streamed to an outside
>>location. How would multiple uses be handled? If burned to disc,
>>wouldn't it need to be a self-destructing, disposable disc (ala Disney)
>>with a built-in "loan" period? Or in the case of portable devices, some
>>encryption program that would make the material digitally "unreadable"
>>after a certain period of time? In the physical world, libraries buy as
>>many copies as they want to simultaneously circulate. Would this be true
>>in the digital world? Or does it make more sense to buy the digital item
>>AND some kind of use license that permits "x" number of simultaneous usages?
>>
>>When trying to think these things through, most of the models we've
>>worked with in the past deal with physical items. I don't know how
>>effective it is to try to apply these same principles to the digital
>>world. But it's hard to come up with new models that are fair to all
>>parties. Anyone have any other ideas about this? All of the comments
>>posted so far have been extremely helpful; I thank you all for your
>>shared wisdom on this subject.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>Lisa Irwin (af1587@wayne.edu)
>>(on behalf of the Multimedia Focus Group, Internet Resources course at

Mark W. Kopp
Circulation Coordinator
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
580 Foot of Ten Road
Duncansville, Pa 16635
(814) 695-1972 Phone
(814) 695-3018 Fax
E-Address:
mailto:iu8film@iu08.org
See us on the Web at:
<http://www.iu08.org>http://www.iu08.org

[...]

"In response to your comments on how to address multiple copies/use of a digital title, I wanted to call to your attention the details of the process in which we are currently involved. We maintain full control of our digital files through our Media Library management software, whereby the digital file is encoded and can only be opened by our customized viewer and only when there is a reservation for this particular title by the patron attempting to open the file.

[...]

1. Buy digital =3D buy digital, as in: buy, own, have the ability to

--

*************************************************************************= ***
Mark W. Kopp
Circulation Coordinator
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
580 Foot of Ten Road
Duncansville, Pa  16635
(814) 695-1972 Phone
(814) 695-3018 Fax
E-Address:
mailto:iu8film@iu08.org
See us on the Web at:
http://www.iu08.org
Click on;   "Instructional Materials= Services"