RE: [Videolib] Digital materials and library collections

Lisa Irwin (LisaI@kpl.gov)
Wed, 28 May 2003 09:39:00 -0400

Hi Claire,

I like your ideal world! Help me take this a step further by imagining how these digital copies will be loaned. Libraries begin to build digital collections of video, audiobooks and music under the ideal conditions you have described. How would the materials be delivered? It seems that digital materials could either be burned to disc or transferred to a portable viewing/listening device at the library or "checked out" from the library catalog and streamed to an outside location. How would multiple uses be handled? If burned to disc, wouldn't it need to be a self-destructing, disposable disc (ala Disney) with a built-in "loan" period? Or in the case of portable devices, some encryption program that would make the material digitally "unreadable" after a certain period of time? In the physical world, libraries buy as many copies as they want to simultaneously circulate. Would this be true in the digital world? Or does it make more sense to buy the digital item AND some kind of
use license that permits "x" number of simultaneous usages?

When trying to think these things through, most of the models we've worked with in the past deal with physical items. I don't know how effective it is to try to apply these same principles to the digital world. But it's hard to come up with new models that are fair to all parties. Anyone have any other ideas about this? All of the comments posted so far have been extremely helpful; I thank you all for your shared wisdom on this subject.

Sincerely,

Lisa Irwin (af1587@wayne.edu)
(on behalf of the Multimedia Focus Group, Internet Resources course at Wayne State University)

-----Original Message-----
From: M. Claire Stewart [mailto:claire-stewart@northwestern.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 8:58 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Digital materials and library collections

Lisa

Here's what I think would be an ideal situation for the transition to
all digital in multimedia library collections (film/video and
music/audio):

1. Buy digital = buy digital, as in: buy, own, have the ability to
hold locally, not pay to access
2. No licensing. No shrinkwrap licenses, no license to access, no
special terms for use, and NO "digital use licenses" in addition to a
title purchase.
3. No digital rights management (DRM) enforcement of any kind

This leaves aside the PPR issue, which I consider to be separate, and
which really needn't change in an all digital scenario.
Apologies for the delay in responding; I'm reading in digest mode.

Claire

--
M. Claire Stewart
Head, Digital Media Services