RE: [Videolib] Digital materials and library collections

M. Claire Stewart (claire-stewart@northwestern.edu)
Wed, 28 May 2003 07:58:24 -0500

Lisa

Here's what I think would be an ideal situation for the transition to
all digital in multimedia library collections (film/video and
music/audio):

1. Buy digital = buy digital, as in: buy, own, have the ability to
hold locally, not pay to access
2. No licensing. No shrinkwrap licenses, no license to access, no
special terms for use, and NO "digital use licenses" in addition to a
title purchase.
3. No digital rights management (DRM) enforcement of any kind

This leaves aside the PPR issue, which I consider to be separate, and
which really needn't change in an all digital scenario.
Apologies for the delay in responding; I'm reading in digest mode.

Claire

--
M. Claire Stewart
Head, Digital Media Services