RE: response to: [Videolib] Digital materials and library

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Tue, 27 May 2003 08:51:55 -0400

--=====================_2640712==.ALT

Hey Chip,

Good job, Chip...well said and right on the money!!! You outta submit your
message to Education Weekly, and other Educational based e-zines.

We're NOT in the entertainment business. We are in the EDUCATION business
(i.e. vocation), and our focus SHOULD be to provide quality EDUCATIONAL
content. I cringe, on a daily basis, at requests for classroom use of a
plethora of ENTERTAINMENT titles, none of which I care to provide. I am not
Blockbuster, and conversely, Blockbuster is not an Educational Media Center.

With the current level of evidence, that the Visual Mediums increase test
scores, the utilization of our wares at the Educational level should be a
no-brainer. I believe that the failure, on our behalf being the content
providers in an Educational setting, is poor marketing. We are all slated
with way too many hats, whereby we are to operate and manage the collection
and delivery methods, PLUS keep the Media Center in the forefront on the
Instructional Materials spectrum. We need to constantly remind our patrons
what we are about, what we have to offer, and WHY we offer quality
Educational Materials.

It is a difficult charge, to compete with the glitze and glamour of the
latest buzz, but it is still the basics that get the job done. There's
nothing wrong with the "basics", since it is still what works. Although
we've come a long way from Readin', Writin', and 'Rithmetic, it is still
the responsibility of the Educational Community, to provide rock-solid,
relevant, Educational-based products to our classrooms. It is our job, to
make sure we have that product to offer, not a watered-down version of what
was once one of the best methods to enhance a lesson plan...quality
Educational Instructional Videos.

Mark
***************************************
At 06:24 PM 5/23/03 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]
>get the jump on the competition. Educators and librarians across the country
>experience this daily. Not including Feature Films, which are mass produced
>by the major studios, or Broadcasted programs that too can be mass produced,
>there are many DVDs that don't work, that are lousy transfers, that are
>straight copies from videos with no Menus and no Chapter Points - and the
>same can be said about Streaming Media, there are downloads that can't be
>accessed by all, some have lousy quality, some can tie up networks, etc.
>
>I mentioned the "mission" of educators and librarians upfront because
>digital is such a fast moving technology that too many people can get so
>caught up in the latest "thing" they can forget what their most valuable
>contribution to their community - be it a classroom or a storytelling hour,
>etc. - really is. We need people in American to remember their mission,
>value their worth to their communities, examine their priorities, challenge
>those who have forgotten what's really important about being educators,
>librarians and administrators and remind them that technology is something
>we can use as a plus, to educate, to inform, to increase awareness, to heal,
>to help - not JUST to entertain.
>
>I know it's fun to watch movies and creative show - and I'm not saying
>educators and librarians shouldn't order movies and home videos/DVDs, but I
>am saying I do wish people would consider balancing things again, save some
>room for quality educational and instructional programs - they do have an
>important place in our society.
>
>Video is a great tool and DVD can become an even greater new tool. To give
>the highest quality possible, my company encodes programs from the original
>masters; then we create Menus and Chapter Points which are a wonderful
>feature of DVDs; also we are now in the process of Captioning all our DVDs.
>And we now offer all our customers who want video streaming, digital files
>in Quicktime or Windows Media Player with the same Chapter Points and
>Captioning.
>
>All of this has come at a great price and as always I welcome the
>opportunity to work here in America with the greatest educators and
>librarians in the world to see that our nation remains dedicated to
>education, for never in the history of the world has it been more apparent
>that this world needs educated, unbiased, open-minded people, if we are ever
>going to achieve a true and lasting peace.
>
>Technology, if utlizied properly, can help not only our country, but all
>countries to communicate, to educate, to seek peaceful answers to the
>problems that divide us. If we choose only to entertain, to look the other
>way, to worry only about numbers and not enough about people, then we will
>waste the gift that these new technologies offer us.
>
>Thank you again for the opportunity to address something that is very

Mark W. Kopp
Circulation Coordinator
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
580 Foot of Ten Road