Re: [Videolib] Digital materials and library collections

Becky Albitz (rsa4@psulias.psu.edu)
Tue, 27 May 2003 08:32:54 -0400

Hi Lisa:

Although my career has shifted from media librarian to electronic resources
librarians, I have always seen a strong parallel between the two, and this
question gets to the heart of that similarity. Eventually I believe that
we will be asked to license access to "bits" of images rather than purchase
a video or DVD, and that shift in access models has the same archiving and
perpetual access implications that the transition from print to on-line
journals has caused. Another issue is the potential conflict between
copyright law and contract law. When we purchase a video, we are able to
do all sorts of things with that object, like circulate it, lend it through
ILL, sell it, destroy it, etc. When we license access to the same content,
many of these rights may be taken away through restrictions in the contract
we are asked to sign. I don't even want to think about the pricing
implications, especially for a University as complex as Penn State!

I hope that if the digital access model really begins to take off in the
video world, that distributors and librarians will take into account all of
the lessons learned and being learned from the digitization of scholarly
journals, and talk with each other!

Best,
Becky