RE: [Videolib] Trivia or...? You decide: Food on Film

mnitz@apl.org
Thu, 22 May 2003 09:18:08 -0500

There's also the meal scene in The Rocky Horror Picture Show where Dr.
Frankenfurter carves up Meatloaf and serves him to his guests.

Michael L. Nitz
Head, Technical Services
Appleton (WI) Public Library
920-832-6184 / mnitz@apl.org / 920-832-6182 (fax)
www.apl.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris McNevins [mailto:Chris.McNevins@uconn.edu]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 8:19 am
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Trivia or...? You decide: Food on Film

Here's one I haven't yet seen on this list. In the Drama/horror catagory we
have:

The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover (1989)

The wife of a barbaric crime boss engages in a secretive romance with a
gentle bookseller between meals at her husband's restaurant. Food, colour
coding, sex, murder, torture and cannibalism are the exotic fare in this
beautifully filmed but brutally uncompromising modern fable which has been
interpreted as an allegory for Thatcherism.

It's pretty gruesome and brutal--yet utterly mesmerizing at the same
time....

Chris McNevins
University Library Assistant II
University of Connecticut
Homer Babbidge Library
Collections Services / Acquisitions-Monographs
369 Fairfield Rd. Unit 1005AM
Storrs, CT 06269-1005

phone: 860-486-3842
fax: 860-486-6493