Re: [Videolib] Trivia or...? You decide: Food on Film

Pat Shufeldt (pashuf@charter.net)
Wed, 21 May 2003 22:08:48 -0400

Here are two more films which were released on DVD this past year:

THE GLEANERS AND I, a French documentary by Agnes Varda, focuses on changes in
the character of gleaning which have occured within her lifetime. Protected by
a centuries-old law and once a communal activity, gleaning has become primarily
an individual endeavor. Where rural gleaning once created a distribution
mechanism for food, contemporary business emphasis on uniformity of size
contributes toward wasteful dumping rather than redistribution. Varda also
films contemporary gleaners in the city food markets at closing time. Some
glean to survive; others declare it to be a political statement against waste.

MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING
A young Greek woman working in the family restaurant, Toula Portokalos ruefully
comments that like all Greek women, she was put upon this earth for three
purposes: to marry a Greek man, to have Greek children, and to feed everyone
until the day she dies. When she defies two of these expectations by falling in
love Ian Miller, a WASP vegetarian, neither the couple nor their families can
quite comprehend the eating habits of the other's culture. At the wedding
reception Toula's father, who specialized in finding the Greek root of any word,
declares that "Miller" comes from the Greek word for apple, and "Portokalos" is
based on the Greek word for oranges--and so "in the end we're all fruits."

Pat Shufeldt
Greenville (SC) County Library System