Re: [Videolib] Trivia or...? You decide: Food on Film

Susan Clark (susan.clark@issh.ac.jp)
Thu, 22 May 2003 08:49:14 +0900

I'm so excited! I finally can make a contribution. Don't forget this video:

Tampopo (1986) described by Maltin as "Funny, original comedy-satire about one of everybody's favorite subjects: food. The scenario, which unravels as a series of vignettes, concerns a truck driver who helps a widow make her noodle shop a viable business. A clever, irreverent delight."

Kind regards, Susan.

> Hi all:
>
> Well not trivia really (but sorta): I'm putting together a food in the
> movies web page (and bibliography) for a course here on the politics and
> culture of food (cool, eh?). Take a look
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/food.html
>
> I know there's more...I could use your help.
>
> Here are the ground rules:
>
> 1. Movie or scene must "say" something substantive about the relationship
> of food/eating/cooking to race/ethnicity, gender, class, sex, etc.
> etc. etc. The usual academic focuses...
> 2. Movie must be available on video (because I'm relating this page to
> stuff we own or can acquire)
> 3. Give me a two to four line description of the movie or scene and I'll
> put your name up in lights on the page.
>
> Bon appetite!
> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC

Susan M. Clark, Librarian,
International School of the Sacred Heart,
3-1, Hiroo 4-chome, Shibuya-ku,
Tokyo, JAPAN 150-0012

Tel: 81-3-3400-3951, ext. 246
Fax: 81-3-3400-3496