Re: [Videolib] Trivia or...? You decide: Food on Film

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Wed, 21 May 2003 17:22:17 -0400

--=====================_106449678==_.ALT

Here's a sub-set related to wedding receptions:

Greed. (Erich von Stroheim, 1925) The Wedding Dinner scene for Trina and=20
McTeague given by Mommer and Popper Sieppe paints the German-origin family=
=20
as having "other" or "ethnic" table manners.

True Love. (Nancy Savoca, 1989) The bride-to be tries to match the color of=
=20
mashed potatoes for her wedding reception to the blue of her bridesmaids'=20
dresses. The film addresses issues of class and ethnicity in Italian-=20
American society.

And others:
War of the Roses. (Danny DeVito, 1989) Conflict between a couple where the=
=20
wife runs a successful catering business. (What's in the pat=E9 and where=
did=20
the dog go?)

The Cook. (Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle, 1918) one of the funniest=20
Arbuckle/Keaton collaborations transforming ordinary Kitchen utensils and=20
food into comic devices.

Sorry, but I gotta go...
Oksana

At 10:24 AM 5/21/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>Well not trivia really (but sorta): I'm putting together a food in the=20
>movies web page (and bibliography) for a course here on the politics and=20
>culture of food (cool, eh?). Take a look=20
>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/food.html
>
>I know there's more...I could use your help.
>
>Here are the ground rules:
>
>1. Movie or scene must "say" something substantive about the relationship=
=20
>of food/eating/cooking to race/ethnicity, gender, class, sex, etc.=20
>etc. etc. The usual academic focuses...
>2. Movie must be available on video (because I'm relating this page to=20
>stuff we own or can acquire)
>3. Give me a two to four line description of the movie or scene and I'll=
=20
>put your name up in lights on the page.
>
>Bon appetite!
>Gary Handman
>Director
>Media Resources Center
>Moffitt Library
>UC Berkeley
>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8
__________________________________________________________________________=
=20

Here's a sub-set related to wedding receptions:

Greed. (Erich von Stroheim, 1925) The Wedding Dinner scene for Trina and McTeague given by Mommer and Popper Sieppe paints the German-origin family as having "other" or "ethnic" table manners.

True Love. (Nancy Savoca, 1989) The bride-to be tries to match the color of mashed potatoes for her wedding reception to the blue of her bridesmaids' dresses. The film addresses issues of class and ethnicity in Italian- American society.

And others:
War of the Roses. (Danny DeVito, 1989) Conflict between a couple where the wife runs a successful catering business. (What's in the pat=E9 and where did the dog go?)

The Cook. (Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle, 1918) one of the funniest Arbuckle/Keaton collaborations transforming ordinary Kitchen utensils and food into comic devices.

Sorry, but I gotta go...
Oksana