Re: [Videolib] Trivia or...? You decide: Food on Film

www.richardcohenfilms.com (rbc24@earthlink.net)
Wed, 21 May 2003 14:46:30 -0700

--------------090004080804000706040600

As a filmmaker shooting people at mealtime always provides me with some
easy to edit documentary scenes that say a lot. Here are two films and
three of my favorite scenes: - Richard

TAYLOR'S CAMPAIGN when the homeless gals are cooking up rice and beans
by the roadside and a United Parcel truck pulls up. One woman asks if
anyone is expecting a washing machine, but to their surprise and joy -
the UPS delivers a bunch of recyclable bottles to their shopping baskets.

TAYLOR'S CAMPAIGN: A musician from Lincoln, Nebraska who became
homeless in Santa Monica wanders up and down the promenade looking for
something to eat. He reaches into a trash bin and pulls out a plastic
cup with the remains of a Coffee Shake, peels back the lid, sniffs
inside to see if it is spoiled, and places it back into the trash.

GOING TO SCHOOL - IR A LA ESCUELA - In the corner of a special education
classroom, a 6th grade boy named Ruben Rodriguez is fed through a
G-tube into his stomach; the healtcare worker asks the boy who is seated
in a wheelchair whether he prefers the chocolate or banana beverage.
After the tube is removed a classmate named Eliana wheels up and asks
Ruben in both English and Spanish "Are you full?" ; making the boy smile.

Gary Handman wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Well not trivia really (but sorta): I'm putting together a food in
> the movies web page (and bibliography) for a course here on the
> politics and culture of food (cool, eh?). Take a look
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/food.
> <http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/food.html>html
>
> <http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/food.html>I know there's more...I
> could use your help.
>
> Here are the ground rules:
>
> 1. Movie or scene must "say" something substantive about the
> relationship of food/eating/cooking to race/ethnicity, gender, class,
> sex, etc. etc. etc. The usual academic focuses...
> 2. Movie must be available on video (because I'm relating this page
> to stuff we own or can acquire)
> 3. Give me a two to four line description of the movie or scene and
> I'll put your name up in lights on the page.
>
> Bon appetite!
> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC

--------------090004080804000706040600

As a filmmaker shooting people at mealtime always provides me with some easy to edit documentary scenes that say a lot.  Here are two films and three of my favorite scenes: - Richard

TAYLOR'S CAMPAIGN when the homeless gals are cooking up rice and beans by the roadside and a United Parcel truck pulls up. One woman asks if anyone is expecting a washing machine, but to their surprise and joy - the UPS delivers a bunch of recyclable bottles to their shopping baskets.

TAYLOR'S CAMPAIGN:  A musician from Lincoln, Nebraska who became homeless in Santa Monica wanders up and down the promenade looking for something to eat.  He reaches into a trash bin and pulls out a plastic cup with the remains of a  Coffee Shake, peels back the lid, sniffs inside to see if it is spoiled, and places it back into the trash.

GOING TO SCHOOL - IR A LA ESCUELA - In the corner of a special education classroom, a 6th grade boy named Ruben Rodriguez  is fed through a G-tube into his stomach; the healtcare worker asks the boy who is seated in a wheelchair whether he prefers the chocolate or banana beverage.  After the tube is removed a classmate named Eliana wheels up and asks Ruben in both English and Spanish "Are you full?" ; making the boy smile.

Gary Handman wrote:

Hi all:

Well not trivia really (but sorta):  I'm putting together a food in the movies web page (and bibliography) for a course here on the politics and culture of food (cool, eh?).  Take a look http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/food.html