RE: [Videolib] Trivia or...? You decide: Food on Film

Katherine Litwin (klitwin@facets.org)
Wed, 21 May 2003 14:45:06 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C31FA7.91BA21C0

I must recommend one of my favorite films:

Chungking Express

>From supreme visual stylist Wong Kar-wai comes this stunning, dream-like
valentine to youth and hopeless love. Kar-wai juxtaposes two quirky, offbeat
stories with beautiful, mysterious women and colorful cops against a
backdrop
of a Chinese fast-food restaurant. An emotionally cool, post-modern romantic
comedy. "...an ideal introduction to his work...a vibrant commentary on
young
love today, packed with punch and personality" (Jonathan Rosenbaum,
<i>Chicago
Reader</i>). Cast includes Tony Leung Chiu-Wai and Brigitte Lin. Cantonese
with
Wong Kar-wai---Hong Kong---1994---102 mins.

There is a scene in which one of the main characters, who has been dumped by
his girlfriend, eats 30 cans of pineapple. He has been saving them, one a
day, and has vowed he will give up on her if she doesn't call him by a
certain date. She doesn't call, so he eats all the pineapple, which was for
him a symbol of their love, but as it is expired and in massive quantities,
it makes him ill.

Katherine Litwin
Sales Representative
Libraries & Educational Accounts
klitwin@facets.org
************
Facets Multi-Media Inc.
1517 W Fullerton Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614
Sales: 800-331-6197
General: 773-281-9075
Fax: 773-929-5437
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 12:24 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Trivia or...? You decide: Food on Film

Hi all:

Well not trivia really (but sorta): I'm putting together a food in the
movies web page (and bibliography) for a course here on the politics and
culture of food (cool, eh?). Take a look
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/food.html

I know there's more...I could use your help.

Here are the ground rules:

1. Movie or scene must "say" something substantive about the relationship
of food/eating/cooking to race/ethnicity, gender, class, sex, etc. etc.
etc. The usual academic focuses...
2. Movie must be available on video (because I'm relating this page to
stuff we own or can acquire)
3. Give me a two to four line description of the movie or scene and I'll
put your name up in lights on the page.

Bon appetite!

UC Berkeley

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C31FA7.91BA21C0

I must=20 recommend one of my favorite films:

Chungking Express
From=20 supreme visual stylist Wong Kar-wai comes this stunning, = dream-like
valentine=20 to youth and hopeless love. Kar-wai juxtaposes two quirky, = offbeat
stories=20 with beautiful, mysterious women and colorful cops against a = backdrop
of a=20 Chinese fast-food restaurant. An emotionally cool, post-modern=20 romantic
comedy. "...an ideal introduction to his work...a vibrant = commentary=20 on young
love today, packed with punch and personality" (Jonathan = Rosenbaum,=20 <i>Chicago
Reader</i>). Cast includes Tony Leung Chiu-Wai = and=20 Brigitte Lin. Cantonese with
 Wong Kar-wai---Hong = Kong---1994---102=20 mins.

There=20 is a scene in which one of the main characters, who has been dumped by = his=20 girlfriend, eats 30 cans of pineapple. He has been saving them, one = a day,=20 and has vowed he will give up on her if she doesn't call him by a = certain=20 date. She doesn't call, so he eats all the pineapple, which = was for=20 him a symbol of their love, but as it is expired and in massive = quantities, it=20 makes him ill.

Katherine = Litwin
Sales = Representative
Libraries & = Educational=20 Accounts
klitwin@facets.org