[Videolib] Re: Shelving Non-Fiction videos

Holly Sammons (sammons@ocpl.lib.ny.us)
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:17:30 -0400 (EDT)

We use Melvil Dewey's system. It works well for many reasons. Often a
patron is looking for both books and videos on a certain topic. It's nice
to tell them that both formats are shelved in the same manner, that is
using the same number, albeit in different physical locations Feature
films are a beast of their own.

One small branch library in our system shelves the non-fiction videos
right on the book shelves to aide in browsing by subject. That would not
work in my library.

Despite my complaints with Dewey, it still works very well.

Holly Sammons, Librarian
Onondaga County Public Library
447 So Salina St
Syracuse NY  13202
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:37:55 -0500
From: "Mark Kratzner" <MKratzner@and.lib.in.us>
To: <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [Videolib] Shelving Non-Fiction videos
Message: 1

I would like to get examples of how non-fiction videos are shelved. We have a large collection from Animals to World Travel. They are sorted in 42 major subjects. Most of the videos are shelved alphabetical first by series then by title. I get more request by subject than by title. If someone ask for the title, I try to think of the subject then look for the title. If that does not work, then I look it up and see if it part of a series. We are looking at ways to shelve them by sub-subject. Examples would be Sports (Baseball), U.S. Travel (State), Health (Cancer). We do not have the staff to Dewey it (sorry about the pun). Thoughts are for using a picture sticker, subject label, or 1-3 letter label (Bas-Baseball, IN-Indiana, Can-Cancer). I would like to know how others libraries help their guest find a tape.