[Videolib] Re: Shelving Non-Fiction videos

Holly Sammons (sammons@ocpl.lib.ny.us)
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:17:30 -0400 (EDT)

We use Melvil Dewey's system. It works well for many reasons. Often a
patron is looking for both books and videos on a certain topic. It's nice
to tell them that both formats are shelved in the same manner, that is
using the same number, albeit in different physical locations Feature
films are a beast of their own.

One small branch library in our system shelves the non-fiction videos
right on the book shelves to aide in browsing by subject. That would not
work in my library.

Despite my complaints with Dewey, it still works very well.

--
Holly Sammons, Librarian
Onondaga County Public Library
447 So Salina St
Syracuse NY  13202
315-435-1894

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:37:55 -0500
From: "Mark Kratzner" <MKratzner@and.lib.in.us>
To: <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [Videolib] Shelving Non-Fiction videos
Message: 1

I would like to get examples of how non-fiction videos are shelved. We have a large collection from Animals to World Travel. They are sorted in 42 major subjects. Most of the videos are shelved alphabetical first by series then by title. I get more request by subject than by title. If someone ask for the title, I try to think of the subject then look for the title. If that does not work, then I look it up and see if it part of a series. We are looking at ways to shelve them by sub-subject. Examples would be Sports (Baseball), U.S. Travel (State), Health (Cancer). We do not have the staff to Dewey it (sorry about the pun). Thoughts are for using a picture sticker, subject label, or 1-3 letter label (Bas-Baseball, IN-Indiana, Can-Cancer). I would like to know how others libraries help their guest find a tape.