RE: [Videolib] Shelving Non-Fiction videos

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:05:31 -0500

Mark, at first, we went with broad categories - sleeves in labeled bins on a
table. People would pull the sleeves and we would retrieve the video from a
closed access area. When the decision to shift from closed access to open
floor shelving was made, we decided we had to go with Dewey numbers. We
changed over about 6000 videos to Dewey categories. Most of the time, the
cataloger got the number from the OCLC record. However, I always double
checked the number to be sure the video fell into the category where it
would give the patrons the greatest access. Sorry, but in the long run, I
think you would be happier going with a standard classification system.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street