RE: [Videolib] Media Collection Development Policies--Chronology

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:49:23 -0500

Monique,
We didn't put copyright dates in our collection development policy, but
I'd say that my guidelines are about the same as what you describe. Age
might vary -- ten years isn't much for history, but if it's computer
related, 2 years might be too old. Unless it's a known classic, I
wouldn't order an older video without having the faculty person preview
it.

http://www.lib.mnsu.edu/lib/cd/vdfpolicy.html

Barb

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian
Minnesota State University-Mankato
(507) 389-5945

-----Original Message-----
From: Threatt, Monique L [mailto:mthreatt@indiana.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 10:36 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Media Collection Development Policies--Chronology

Hello everyone,

This question is directed more towards the academic media collection
development manager.

I want to hear your opinion about what kind of guidelines do you follow
when purchasing documentaries, particularly the year the documentary was
produced.

Currently our Scope of Coverage as far as chronology is concerned states
the following: Priority is given to documentary programs produced
within the past ten years. Older programs will be purchased only when
they are classic titles or when it has been determined that no more
recent production offers the save level of coverage -- in terms of
content or quality. There are no chronological guidelines for the
purchase of feature films

Thanks,
Monique

Monique L. Threatt
Assistant Librarian for Undergraduate Reference and Media Services
Main Library W121, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: 812.855.9857 /Fax: 812.855.1649 / Web:
www.indiana.edu/~libugls