Re: [Videolib] Query: all Millennium materials booking module

Kate Vaux (kmvaux@unimelb.edu.au)
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:54:25 +1000

--=====================_1826781==.ALT

Dear Jeff,

I'd be interested in what you find out. We have INNOPAC and use the
booking module. But I'm sure we have not got the updates to it as we are
only one branch that uses it in the whole library. We still use the telnet
version of the module. It is rudimentary but works. I'd like to know how
the new version works. Like does it have automatic notification that
booked items can be collected? Does it sort booking slips into call number
order? Below is what I sent to my management a few years ago asking for
enhancements to the system. I haven't heard any thing further. But they
may be things to look out for when considering purchase.

RECOMMENDED INNOPAC ENHANCEMENTS for Bookings

Booking System :

It should be noted that media items are "bookable" but not "holdable".

Status of Booked Items :
When a booked item is checked in it would be useful if INNOPAC gave the
option of place on Booking Shelfand provided the status "Booking Shelf" as
per holds going on to the hold shelf.

At the moment we have to, exit check-in and enter "Update bibliographic
records" and change the item's status to "Ask at Desk", for each item
placed on the Booking Shelf. This is time consuming. Moreover, the "Ask at
Desk" status is also used for several other conditions so it is not clear
from the catalogue that an item is booked for someone. It is also confusing
for Loans Staff as some items that have been given the "Ask at Desk" status
need to have this status retained at check-in and check-out, whilst booked
items should have the "Ask at Desk" status removed on check-out.

Patron Notification of Bookings :
Presently patrons are not notified that the item they booked is available.
It would be beneficial, if the system automatically e-mailed notifications,
so that the patrons could know that the item they had booked is waiting for
them on the Booking Shelf (as per holds). Booked items are often
forgotten. Patrons can't easily distinguish between the Booking System and
the Holds System and there is a false expectation that they will be
notified. Notification/confirmation would especially benefit those patrons
who book items because they are currently on loan and wish to pick the item
up as soon as it is returned.

Printed Booking slips* :
It would save staff time if the item status was printed on each booking
slip. At the moment each item has to be checked on the system individually
in order to determine if the item is on the Booking Shelf (i.e. Ask at desk
status), on loan, overdue, recently returned or available on shelf.

It would also save staff time if the booking slips could be or were
automatically sorted into location and call number order.

*The list of booked items that need to be taken off the general shelves by
Library staff in order to set them aside on the booking shelf.

Regards,

Kate Vaux
Media Information Librarian
Media Collections

Room 420
Level 4, Education Resource Centre (ERC) Library
The Information Division
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010
Australia

e-mail : kmvaux@unimelb.edu.au
Telephone : +61 3 8344 8650 or +61 3 8344 8316
Facsimile : +61 3 9347 0974

www.lib.unimelb.edu.au/collections/media/