RE: [Videolib] Security cases for DVDs

Maurine Canarsky (maurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us)
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:46:26 -0800

Hello Barb:

We had an unhappy experience with DVD security cases. We used the brand
Xtreme, which covered the whole DVD, case and all, and opened only with a
special opener. We had security tags on the cases themselves thinking that
since they could not be opened without the special opener, that was all we
needed.

Unfortunately, our cases were simply broken into in the various nether parts
of the library, which is one floor only, and we have a security guard. We
lost 28 of 128 DVDs in the first 3 weeks they were out.

For now, we have taken the DVDs out of their security cases, put the empty
boxes on the shelves, and have the DVDs in alphabetical order by title in
slipcovers in a file at the checkout desk. The file is inaccessible to
patrons, so, to checkout, the patron now brings an empty case to checkout
and we pull the video and put it in the case after it is checked out to
them.

We will be having a meeting to decide the future of our DVD buying. We know
we will be limited in storage space under the checkout desk, and are not
certain how we will handle future purchases.

We know other libraries have had very successful DVD security, and wish you
the best of luck.

Maurine Canarsky
Media Librarian
Noel Wien Public Library