Re: [Videolib] Copyright, again

Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:19:54 -0700

--=====================_16725171==_.ALT

The Fair Use Guidelines for Multimedia say it be cool (particularly given
the brevity of the portion being shown):

3.3 Educator Use for Peer Conferences:

Educators may perform or display their own multimedia projects created
under Section 2 of these guidelines
in presentations to their peers, for example, at workshops and conferences.

At 01:10 PM 4/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a faculty member who uses Wise Blood as part of his curriculum for
>a Religion in Film class. He is going to present a paper at a professional
>conference and wants to show the opening credits of this title to
>illustrate the topic. He has asked if doing so is acceptable under fair
>use, or if he needs specific permission / license to do so. This type of
>use seems to meet the four fair use criteria in Section 107. Am I correct
>in telling him he can show this segment (provided he uses a legally
>obtained copy) in this circumstance without seeking specific
>permission/license?
>Many thanks for your responses.
>Gail B. Fedak
>Manager, Instructional Media Resources

[...]