Re: [Videolib] PPR Po Pet Peeve

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:29:52 -0400

YES!!!. Face to face teaching exemption allows you to use any LEGAL
tape in a "real" class. This means you can take something out of Blockbuster
and show it in a class if you want but you can use anything you buy
from Kino, Facets etc in A CLASS. It must be PART of the course instruction
and limited to the students enrolled in the class but this is pretty basic.
As mentioned before very, very , VERY few feature films
COME with PPR rights anyway. If you signed an expensive licensing deal with
SWANK & Criterion ( the only two that really could) that MIGHT cover about
10-25% of your collection. You would go NUTS trying to license the rest, and
there would be MANY, MANY films you could NEVER get PPR rights on.

PPR is for PUBLIC USE such as a open screening or cable broadcast or I
suppose streaming (if you could ever get the rights for this).

Of course none of the above applies to our Canadian friends who
have much more restrictive copyright laws

Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018