RE: [Videolib] PPR Po Pet Peeve

Bergman, Barbara J (
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:52:00 -0500

Who has been talking to you Stephen?

Yes, you can use home use videos, rented from a video store, as long as
the other elements of fair use apply. You only need PPR when fair use
--face-to-face teaching, etc -- doesn't apply.

See this article "Can I show this video in my classroom," written by a
copyright lawyer, on the Library Video Company's web site.

Now, if you're doing some sort of public presentation, as opposed to a
regularly scheduled class, that's where PPR comes in.

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian
Minnesota State University-Mankato

-----Original Message-----
From: []
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 9:53 AM
Subject: RE: [Videolib] PPR Po Pet Peeve

Jessica, you provide an interesting interpretation on when an
needs PPR. At all of the copyright workshops I've attended (over the
years), the speakers emphasized the need for PPR for feature films and
video related materials for face-to-face teaching. Instructors could
use of
air recorded copies for face-to-face teaching, but there were severe
restrictions (e.g., 45 days, etc.). I've never heard that institutions
use "home use only" copies of feature films in face-to-face teaching.
Am I
misinterpreting something here?

Stephen V. Pomes, Librarian
Minerals Management Service
U.S. Dept. of the Interior
1201 Elmwood Park Blvd., MS 5031
New Orleans, LA 70123-2394
Telephone: 504-736-2521
Fax: 504-736-2525

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily correspond to those

my employer.