RE: [Videolib] PPR Po Pet Peeve

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:53:16 -0500

Also, this is similar to what I was told when we started ordering videos and
cd-roms - if we put a statement on a PO that the items were going to be
circulated to the general public, and the order was filled, then the company
was agreeing to our use. I think this was focused more on cd-roms,
especially with the confusion on licensing agreements, etc.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
PHONE: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
www.aurora.lib.il.us
E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Lewis [mailto:clewis@american.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 3:03 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] PPR Po Pet Peeve

Jessica,

I've heard of some librarians who considered printing a similar statement
on their POs thinking that if the vendor noticed it but hadn't priced a
given title as if it had PPR included the vendor would just cross that
clause out. I know it's sneaky and it doesn't hold water but there are
definitely some who believe they are protected by such an agreement

Christopher Lewis
American University Library
Media Librarian
202.885.3257

Jessica Rosner

<jrosner@kino.com> To: videolib
<videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Sent by: cc:

videolib-bounces@library.b Subject: [Videolib]
PPR Po Pet Peeve
erkeley.edu

04/14/03 05:24 PM

Please respond to videolib

Ok there is my tong twister
I just got a PO from a major institution for a new DVD release
The PO Includes in the text that the title is Purchased WITH PUBLIC
PERFORMANCE RIGHTS. This drives me NUTS as it has NO legitimate legal force
and will almost surely lead to this institution thinking or claiming PPR
on things it does not have. In this case Kino DOES own the PPR but as you
know many places you might send a PO ( including Kino depending on the
title) DON'T OWN PPR. In any case PPR is virtually NEVER included on
Feature Fiction films. I have NO idea what the university wants the PPR
FOR. Sometimes I get forms that at least ASK for specific rights which I
can
always check NO on if it is in fact a PPR right ( sometimes they just ask
for things they have anyway like circulating the title on or off campus).
What scares me is that this is a BIG school which I am sure sends out a lot
of PO's like this one. Does anyone know of any other institutions which
just
assume PPR if they stick in the PO?
Luckily this one has a phone # ( and e mail) otherwise I would literally
toss it

Jessica

--
Jessica Rosner