Re: [Videolib] Fair Use / Fair Dealing 15-30 second clips

Don Taylor (
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 11:04:59 -0800

Simon Fraser University asked this exact same question 2 weeks ago of the
post-secondary media licencing organization (AEMAC) in British
Columbia. The answer was no. Showing a video clip in class is not covered
by Fair Dealing under Canadian copyright and would have to be cleared -
"One second or one hour, all have to be cleared first." I'm assuming that
these clips are coming from films that aren't covered by any licence at the
U of Manitoba.

Donald Taylor
Electronic Resources Librarian email:
Simon Fraser University Library ph: 604-291-4930
8888 University Drive fax: 604-291-3023
Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 1S6

At 12:01 PM 02/04/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Our instructors have asked whether using 15-30 seconds of a video would be
>considered under "Fair Use" or is it definitely copyright infringement.
>Gina Neufeld, Assist. Supv.
>The University of Manitoba
>Classroom & Media Services
>(204) 474-6439 FAX: 474-7598