Re: [Videolib] FW: DVD center ring damage

Jessica Rosner (
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 12:04:52 -0500

If you need PPR for something like Public showing or Campus Cable etc
than YOU MUST GET THE RIGHTS from whoever owns the film, WHEREVER they are.
I don't even think Gary would disagree with me on this
Just because a film or video is not distributed in the US does NOT mean
it is not protected. It would most likely be VERY difficult to track down
rights on such a title , so I would recommend either not buying if you MUST
have PPR or find a way just to use it for standard classroom use without
PPR. However I have in the past been surprised by the ability of some places
to in fact track down overseas rights holders and get permission. If you are
really stuck ON THIS one I can give some suggestions for tracking down
rights on a Hong Kong Feature film but since there are going to be
PERMISSION, I would again urge you to see if you can tell Profs to just
stick to using them IN CLASS

Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018

> From: "Kimberly Stanton" <> > Reply-To: > Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:49:38 -0600 > To: <> > Subject: Re: [Videolib] FW: DVD center ring damage > > > Hi > > I'm trying to purchase public performance rights for a film series at the > university I work for. I've come across a title called GOD OF COOKERY > dir:Stephen Chow that I have some questions about. This is a film from Hong > Kong and it doesnt look like a US disribute carries it. My question is if a > film does not have a US distibuter do I have to purchase PPR. Or can I just > show it? I can purchase the dvd in all region format from a Korean distibuter > no problem. It's just the PPR thats tripping me up. > > Thanks, > Kim > > > ---------------------------------------- > Kim Stanton > Special Projects Supervisor > University of North Texas, Media Library > > > _______________________________________________ > Videolib mailing list > >

_______________________________________________ Videolib mailing list