RE: [Videolib] FW: DVD center ring damage

Maurine Canarsky (maurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us)
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:18:09 -0900

Dear Peter,

These links are great! Thanks so much for illustrating the issue.

Maurine Canarsky, Media Librarian
Noel Wien Public Library
1215 Cowles St.
Fairbanks, AK 99701
907-459-1020
FAX 907-459-1024
maurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Delin, Peter
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 4:06 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] FW: DVD center ring damage

Dear Mary,

I think you are completely right. Most DVD cases have design flaws
concerning the center button. In our library we had the same problem.
That is why we change all DVD to special cases with a button similar to
that in CD cases ("jewel boxes"). Here is a site presenting the "zoo" of
different buttons in DVD cases (please click on the producer's name):
http://www.math.ttu.edu/~kesinger/dvd/
In the meantime we have gathered a collection of 18 different boxes.

I suppose you are right with your presumption that a further reason why
DVD discs crack more easily at the hub ring than CD disks might be the
structure of the DVD - beside the unappropriate hub design.
DVDs are made completely different from CDs. A CD is always made of 1
polycarbonate disc, whereas a DVD is always (!) made of 2 polycarbonate
discs bonded together similar to the former Laserdisc. With DVD-5 - the
one layer discs - the second polycarbonate disc is a sheer dummy. You
can see the 2-disc design when you cut a DVD in the middle. This might
cause more instability around the hubring.

This german language site illustrates the structure of DVD discs:
http://www.agentur-schulze.de/html/dvdaufbau.html
Here you can see the corresponding structure of a CD disc:
http://www.agentur-schulze.de/html/cdaufbau.html

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin
http://www.zlb.de/index.html

MARYG schrieb:

> I'm forwarding some recent correspondence with Jim Taylor whose site
> http://dvddemystified.com is my bible for technical DVD info. After
tossing
> far too many DVD's because of center ring damage the last straw for me was
> purchasing "Lord of the Rings : Fellowship of the Rings (Extended
Version)"