RE: [Videolib] defunct companies

Jeffrey Clark (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:23:34 -0500

Grace,

The Copyright Office's fee-based search service is more thorough and costs
roughly $75/hr--but doesn't guarantee accuracy of results. It *does* serve
to certify a good faith effort, probably better (from a legal standpoint)
than doing the search on your own with the online database tools (LOCIS and
the experimental one at the Copyright Office website), and documenting the
results yourself. You can find reference to the search service here:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ22.html#searching

Whether the fee search is necessary, though, may be a judgment call--
conditioned by the case at hand (details about the item you're searching,
its importance or obscurity, etc).

Jeff

--On Tuesday, March 25, 2003 5:50 PM -0800 Grace McKay
<grace@mermaidstudios.com> wrote:

> * 0 DocumentEmail
>
> Is the online search function at LOC considered to be a reliable
> indication of the actual copyright status of a title? Or is it necessary
> to have a search performed by LOC personnel? Just how much can we rely on
> the online results? What would be the absolute correct way to verify a
> title&#8217;s status and ownership?
>

> Grace McKay

Jeff Clark
Director