RE: [Videolib] defunct companies

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:19:00 -0500

You are too funny Gary!! That's why we are glad you are a part of our
world--no, not the E.T world.

Monique

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Handman [mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 11:26 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] defunct companies

OK OK OK OK OK...mia maxima culpa!

I had a bad night last night, tossing and turning...ugly, disturbing
dreams
about being chased down endless, popcorn littered aisles by David
Shepard
wielding a flaming roll of celluloid...

If the world were composed of solely of Kinos and Milestones (and Firs
Run/Icaruses, and Cinema Guilds, and New Day Films...), I would be a
happy
(and far less grumpy) guy.

At 11:15 PM 3/25/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>In a message dated 3/25/03 7:24:46 PM, ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>writes:
>
><< God help us if we leave preservation of the cultural record to the
>sellers... >>
>
>Gary,
>Love ya babe, and I was right with you to the end! However, the above
>is a VERY broad statement, especially since at least two distributors
>on this list (Kino and Milestone) are dedicated to leaving films better

>off when we're gone than when we started. We didn't publicize it, but
>Milestone's 10th anniversary tour donated over $30,000 to four film
>archives' preservation funds, and we've paid over $150,000 in royalties

>from distributing their films. And there's plenty more producers and
>distributors who are from fairly to very responsible with their
>materials -- and the Hollywood studios in the past decade are doing
>some really dramatic and impressive work.
>
>When we're talking books and paper, there is no equal to the best
>libraries. But when it comes to electronic media, I suspect they have
>few comparable preservation plans. In fact, this is a good time to
>encourage more library media people to join the Association of Moving
>Image Archivists (www.amianet.org).
>
>Dennis
>Milestone Film & Video
>PO Box 128, Harrington Park, NJ 07640