Re: [Videolib] defunct companies

MileFilms@aol.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:30:09 EST

--part1_1ed.5238710.2bb24081_boundary

In a message dated 3/25/03 4:49:57 PM, LFlanzra@Qc1.Qc.Edu writes:

> If a film distributor is defunct like Films Inc. or CRM -- is it within
> copyright
> guidelines to make a copy of a tape ?

That kind of shows how tricky things are. Films Inc. is defunct, but it was
only the 16mm division of Public Media Inc. (aka Home Vision Entertainment --
see <A HREF="http://www.homevision.com/">http://www.homevision.com/</A>). PMI still owns title to many, many films.
And besides, a film doesn't always become lost because the company goes out
of business -- there's usually a copyright holder to the film that has to be
contacted. On the other hand, that's not answering your real question if I'm
assuming you're asking about truly lost films that you have done a reasonable
search for the owner -- this has been covered extensively on videolib and I'm
sure there'll be additional answers from the librarian side.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

That kind of shows how tricky things=20= are. Films Inc. is defunct, but it was only the 16mm division of Public Medi= a Inc. (aka Home Vision Entertainment -- see http://www.homevision.com/). PMI still owns title to many,=20= many films. And besides, a film doesn't always become lost because the compa= ny goes out of business -- there's usually a copyright holder to the film th= at has to be contacted. On the other hand, that's not answering your real qu= estion if I'm assuming you're asking about truly lost films that you have do= ne a reasonable search for the owner -- this has been covered extensively on= videolib and I'm sure there'll be additional answers from the librarian sid= e.