Re: [Videolib] Chronicle article: CCUMC cautions that

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:06:39 -0500

--=====================_21950027==.ALT

John,

DVD, which is basically an MPEG-2 format, is not a good format for On-line
delivery. The files are extremely large and don't make good "candidates"
for that process. The MPEG-1 (Windows Media Player, Real, etc.) are very
common, and the .mov files used with Quicktime look to be the most
promising, not to say that there aren't others that could work.

That said, I am watching for the first issues to well up regarding the
argument that the DVD IS a Digital Format and that conversion to a
"deliverable" format will not be allowed. It is my opinion that, going
forward, a Media Center should want to purchase the Digitized material from
a vendor, as it is a very time consuming and costly process, to encode and
encrypt a file the size of a full length, full motion digital video. It is
also my opinion that we should be viewing the TEACH Act as the legislation
that keeps our CURRENT collection a viable resource, in that it is
digitizable only if needed. Our future purchase decisions need to take into
consideration whether or not the Media Center wishes to deliver a Digital
product or not.

In our situation, we are most likely looking at some level of duality,
where we will purchase the VHS and Digital (not DVD) file for a limited
time and in limited qty's until such time that the VHS copies are no longer
the format of choice. We transformed our library from 16mm to VHS at one
time. Now it's time for another transformation.

Whatever format shakes itself out to be the format of choice, the Media
Centers need to maintain control of the delivery process by establishing
the infrastructure and resources necessary to carry us to the next
generation of Educational Media.

Mark
At 08:56 AM 3/25/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>I have a question concerning something I read in some TEACH materials.
>It said that if something was digital you could not make an analog copy
>to use. Now DVD are digital media and VHS is analog, so if that is the
>case, then we can't use DVDs for the source material for online content,
>correct? And if that is so, then we don't have to worry about breaking
>the code to put the material up for access. Does this make sense?
>John
>
>John H. Streepy
>Media Assistant III
>Library-Media Circulation